Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Daddy" Poem

     So I ended up doing my paper on the poem "Daddy" by Sylvia Plath. My best friend told me about Sylvia Plath's work a few weeks before our English class started this summer. She told me that she loved her work because her poetry was so "raw", honest and relatable. As well as the sad life she led until she committed suicide. Coincidentally I read the story "Daddy" right before class and decided to base my paper on the poem. That was when I realized who the author was and the poem made more sense.

To make sure my friend was correct on her facts about Sylvia Plath I researched her life to see why her poetry was so depressing, especially "Daddy". The poem is basically a memoir of Plath's life. Learning about her life made so much sense as to why she poured her heart out into her writing. Researching her life and going through the poem step by step with the teacher helped me appreciate the poem even more. Plath was a fantastic writer and unfortunately left us too soon.

This is for your Sylvia Plath. May you rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. It's great when you find a writer you can not only relate to but one that seems as though they are speaking to you. Sad that she committed suicide, but a lot of great artists do unfortunately. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did my paper on Daddy. I thought it was very well written and with a lot of imagery. It is good that you were able to relate in a more personal level. It always makes poetry more passionate and personal when you can relate to it.

    ReplyDelete