Monday, July 18, 2011

Narrative of The Yellow Wallpaper

     Reading "The Yellow Wallpaper" from a 1st person narrative is more interesting to me than from any other perspective. I like it more because I get a better understanding of the situation(s) in the story. I like knowing what the main character is thinking and what she observes around her. If it was told from another perspective maybe the audience would have thought that her husband was abusive and unloving. Even though you get to read what the main character is thinking, the audience can still notice if something is off about the character(s) as well. For instance we know in the beginning that she hates the yellow wallpaper but as she stays in the room longer she starts to like and become attached to the wallpaper. The character might be saying one thing but we remember what she was also thinking earlier. Slowly the audience gets to see how she slowly becomes crazy while she remains in denial.
 

2 comments:

  1. "Reading "The Yellow Wallpaper" from a 1st person narrative is more interesting to me than from any other perspective. I like it more because I get a better understanding of the situation(s) in the story."

    I also found that reading this poem in the 1st person was a great spin on things. If this story was told by say John, it would have been much less traumatic of a tale. It was the deterioration of the narrators thoughts that gave us the real feel of her losing her mind. That would have been ruined if we just heard John say she was going insane. We actually felt like we were going insane along with the narrator. I thought this poem was excellently written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, I think that by reading "A Yellow Wallpaper" from the first person it makes a greater impact on the reader and one can actually see as she slowly deteriorates and becomes delusional in her own little world. It also makes it easier for the reader to sympathize with her because we are able to see how much she is suffering.

    ReplyDelete